Friday, August 7, 2009

Abstract Photography - why?

My name is Michael Banks. I'm a Photographic Artist - in other words, I use a camera to create Art. My Photographic Art is Abstract - and the desire to push what you can do artistically, with a camera, is what drives me creatively. Photography was invented around 180 years ago, and as soon as it appeared, it liberated Painting, to be able to become an abstract art-form, but at the same time, gave itself this restrictive responsibility to be the recorder of the seen world. So Photography is usually about the stuff around us - People, Places, Things. Practically all photography in the world falls into one of those categories. But not mine. I'm looking to liberate Photography from this representational role, and to fully explore what I believe is the hidden potential of Photography - its potential to be totally Abstract, to make visible the invisible, and to be pure Art.

3 comments:

  1. like the website alot - brilliant stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes checked out your website - really useful for architects..........

    ReplyDelete
  3. be great to see a piece of your artwork that you think best represents your philosophy on abstraction....

    ReplyDelete